Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What I Learned From My Son's Preschool Teacher

Teacher Josie was an icon at our little preschool -- she'd been there forever, finally retiring last year after 25 years of teaching three year olds (oh my!) Opinionated as can be, she loved those kids with all her might. Sometimes, though, I think she was there more for us parents.

When you've taught for 25 years, you learn a lot about kids and the effects of parenting both in the short-term and the long-term. One of the most important things I ever remember Josie saying was, "There are 100 kids and 100 ways of parenting. My job is to help you parent in the way that works best for you and your family." And she meant it.

I know that I can get caught up in what's right and what's wrong, sitting in judgment because I think I know what's best, most effective, etc. It helps me to remember Josie's comment so I can humbly walk hand-in-hand with my fellow moms and women. We're different -- we have different needs, different goals, and different ways of doing and thinking. But, as I've heard it said before, all anyone wants is to be truly happy. And as a parent, this goes for my children as well. I want them to be happy (and healthy).

So, here's to many different ways of working toward the same ultimate goal and enjoying (yes, even enjoying) watching the diversity of others who do it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment