Friday, March 6, 2009

Asking for Help - and Helping in Return

It's interesting how difficult it can sometimes be to ask for help. And it's not always difficult saying the words; it's difficult being nice to ourselves when we ask for it. Like somehow we're inept or even a "klutz" because some things are more difficult for us than for others.

My own inner struggle was brought to light today by an email I received from a mom who was inadvertently aplogizing for the fact that this weekend she was going to ask her husband to help her figure something out. Reflecting on her email, I realized that I, too, sometimes need or want my husband's help on things that, yes, I could do, but don't want to take the time to figure out. Or, I know that he'd figure it out quickly and easily, whereas I might struggle for awhile.

It's about seeing both of our values -- our strengths as a team -- and giving myself permission to play the role that comes easiest. Not to say that I'm not willing to pitch in and give more. I certainly am. But sometimes the things that come easiest to me, are just exactly the things that he has absolutely no interest in doing. Interdependence. Yes, I want to continue learning that skill, so my children can see their own value both as an individual as well as their innate gifts within a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment