Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Nursing / Pumping Moms: Remember to Eat!

Being a mom is all-consuming, especially when you are breastfeeding and/or pumping. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that it's important to take good care of yourself -- with the same loving care as you are taking with your little one. I remember just wanting to sleep. Really SLEEP. Uninterrupted. And for more than a couple hours at a time. With my second baby, I felt even more desperate. Just when I'd get my little one fed and sleeping, my toddler wanted to play.

So, what does it have to do with eating? It's often hard to prioritize eating when there are so many other things to do in between nursing and pumping. But in the long run, taking the time to consume some healthy calories will pay off. A breastfeeding/pumping mom needs an additional 300-500 calories every day in order to continue to produce milk (you probably already know that). And I don't know about you, but I had on my extra "baby weight" and was eager to fit in my pre-baby clothes (as opposed to staying in my husband's jeans which were the only pants I could fit into for a long time!) But now's not the time to drastically cut calories. As a matter of fact, many moms who struggle with their milk supply aren't aware that they need to be eating healthy and eating an appropriate amount of food in order for their bodies to produce breast milk (yes, when I learned that I remember wondering how malnourished moms in undeveloped countries could maintain their milk supply . . . still don't know the answer but I do know that healthy eating can play a significant role).

To make it easier, try packing nutritious snacks in small snack bags all at once on Sunday night and place on a specific shelf in the cupboard or refrigerator, before the week begins. Here are some ideas:
· Plain mixed nuts
· Raisins with peanuts
· Plain almonds with dried cranberries
· Peanut butter crackers
· Sliced apples with a dash of cinnamon
· Carrot and celery sticks with a small side of ranch
· Plain yogurt and a bit of granola
· Hard-boiled eggs
· Bananas
· Triscuits and a cheese stick
· Cottage cheese with fruit


Even if you have to eat on the run, healthy foods will help you be at your best -- and that's a win for both you and your baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment